TPE-S is the most common variant of thermoplastic elastomer, and consists of either SBS or SEBS styrene block copolymers in a thermoplastic PP matrix. The two variants primarily differ in terms of their weather and ozone resistance, where SEBS performs markedly better than SBS. These materials are very commonly used as cost-effective replacement materials for vulcanized rubber in applications with low requirements on e.g. compression set. They also have the advantage of being recyclable, which is a huge benefit to the environment.
- Low price
- Low density (unfilled variants)
- Good flexibility even at low temperatures
- Good adhesion to polyolefins such as PE and PP
- Available in transparent variants
- Approved for use with foodstuffs and medical-technological applications
- Less optimal deformation and compression set properties than those of vulcanized rubber